Old 05-06-2009, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bob[_1_] bob[_1_] is offline

Default bird - can anyone ID?

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:51:52 +0100, "Ragnar" wrote:

There is a good birdwatching Group uk.rec.birdwatching so I suggest you try
there. However I think they will tell you it is a female or juvenile
Redstart or Black Redstart

thanks - that enabled me to check some pics, and it appears to be the
black redstart.

I've got an old copy of the Times Easy way to Bird Recognition, which
usually guides me to ID but it failed me this time - probably pilot
error.
Anyway, I've noted the ng you mention.

R.

bob wrote in message ...
no pics I'm afraid.

Roughly, sparrow sized, maybe a tiny bit bigger. Mostly all brown to
grey-brownish but appeared to have a dull orange flash on the
underside of its tail.

Bit of tail-wagging was going on but I think that might have been an
expression of irritation with my presence.

Does this sound familiar?