Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bird - can anyone ID?

no pics I'm afraid.

Roughly, sparrow sized, maybe a tiny bit bigger. Mostly all brown to
grey-brownish but appeared to have a dull orange flash on the
underside of its tail.

Bit of tail-wagging was going on but I think that might have been an
expression of irritation with my presence.

Does this sound familiar?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There is a good birdwatching Group uk.rec.birdwatching so I suggest you try
there. However I think they will tell you it is a female or juvenile
Redstart or Black Redstart

R.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:51:52 +0100, "Ragnar" wrote:

There is a good birdwatching Group uk.rec.birdwatching so I suggest you try
there. However I think they will tell you it is a female or juvenile
Redstart or Black Redstart

thanks - that enabled me to check some pics, and it appears to be the
black redstart.

I've got an old copy of the Times Easy way to Bird Recognition, which
usually guides me to ID but it failed me this time - probably pilot
error.
Anyway, I've noted the ng you mention.

R.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/06/2009 14:04, bob wrote:
I've got an old copy of the Times Easy way to Bird Recognition, which
usually guides me to ID but it failed me this time - probably pilot
error.

The RSPB has a useful bird identifier:
http://rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 19:06:38 +0100, Danny Colyer
wrote:

On 05/06/2009 14:04, bob wrote:
I've got an old copy of the Times Easy way to Bird Recognition, which
usually guides me to ID but it failed me this time - probably pilot
error.

The RSPB has a useful bird identifier:
http://rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/

Yes, that's good. Very neat. In fact on feather colours it got me
there in one. I got misrouted using the size filter. That's where I
went wrong with my book too, because I thought it was bigger than a
robin.

Thanks for the link.