Old 15-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Stephen Howard

Default Leeks, again!

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 21:16:39 +0000 (UTC), "The Devil's Advocate"
wrote:

You've answered your own question really! It all depends on when you sowed
them, the conditions and so on. So you are correct, the best time is before
they go to seed but who knows when that thick flower shoot is going to
sprout?1

I dug half a dozen Musselburghs just this morning, and noted that one
or two were starting to put out a tentative flower stem - but on the
whole I think I've done very well that they've lasted this long.

I find that once they head towards flowering they lose their culinary
value, but rather than dig them up I like to leave them to set flower
- they make quite a display, and the native insects love the flower
heads.

About the only thing you need to watch is that they don't succumb to
rust - though if they do they'll tolerate having a few leaves pulled
off.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk