Old 07-06-2009, 01:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Pond in a Pot?

On Sun, 31 May 2009 09:32:52 EDT, theilliniguy
wrote:

I prolly heard wrong! The gold fish I'm using are the very small
"feeder" fish too FYI.

Unless your state rules/laws are different than Washington St. where the
only feeder fish allow here are goldfish. They're probably goldfish or
maybe Rosy Reds (a cream to light orange) fish. Those have been out-lawed
here. They're pretty hardy usually, why I still think you had young
GF.

A gal at the per store told me I needed oxygenating plants

Any plant that has most of its greenery above the water line is not an
oxygenating plant. They do remove nitrates after the cycle of ammonia to
nitrites to nitrates has happened, some even remove ammonia/nitrite direct,
but I don't know which do. Maybe WHyacinths? The only oxygenating plants
are ones like underwater grasses and various or similar to anacharis (that
is also outlawed here). Hornwort is another. None of them oxygenate after
the sun goes down when fish often need it most.

whattsa dunk?

http://www.summitchemical.com/view-products.aspx?id=8
or Bits:
http://www.pestproducts.com/mosquito_bits.htm

any online sources of photos? equipment? so I know what to look for
and how to do?

http://www.dripdepot.com/ to add to Rodney's Aquarium websites.

Btw, you can also get tubing (same size as aquarium tubing) in various
colors, our Lowe's had it in maroon, dark green & light tan besides black.
One can make air bubblers out of the drip line, but one needs to hold it
under by weights or tucked under pots edges as it floats. Drip materials
are in the sprinkler section of your local hardware store usually. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us