Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Alan Alan is offline

Default Where buy high quality low voltage landscape lights ?

"James" no wrote in message
I have used 12 volt landscape lights for about seven years. During this time,
I have used various light fixtures from Home Depot and Lowe's. Some seem
pretty low quality, some appear pretty decent at first. But, they all leak
after a few years.

I have also tried more "upscale" lights from a lighting dealer, costing in
the range of $90 per fixture. They also leak after a few years. I see NO
difference in quality of the "upscale" fixtures at $90 than what I buy at the
big box stores at $15 each. No difference whatsoever. (Generally
speaking, I am a believer in the saying that you get what you pay for. This
does not appear to be the case with low voltage landscape lights).

Do any of you have experience with the long term use of low voltage landscape
lights, and have you found decent fixtures with good seals, so that they don't
leak after a few years ? If so, what brand/ store / etc would you suggest
that I try ??

Have you considered LED (light emitting diode) lights? Google "white LED
Lights". Incandescent lights only only produce 5-10% light the remainder being
heat and it is the latter that causes fixture failure. With leds there need not
be
any such fixtures. If you can live with red lights, red LEDs are even cheaper.