Old 08-06-2009, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Name a rose

On 2009-06-08 01:03:00 +0100, "Simon" said:

Hello

I wonder if it is possible to name a rose after my wife? What I am
looking for is one that I can name that will go out to numerous garden
centre's etc and become a "known" variety. I was diagnosed with
terminal cancer last August and wanted to do this before I go, Can
anyone here help me, or is there something similar I can do before too
long?

Thank Simon

There is an organisation called www.Name-a-Rose.com but as to the rose
then becoming a commercial proposition, I don't know. It would be
better for you to contact one of the big rose growers like David Austin
and Beale's and ask their opinion. AFAIK, it costs a LOT of money to
get a commercially viable rose named after someone because it involves
a type of patent and a variety of garden-worthy tests etc. but they
could give you more information.
I'm sorry to hear of your illness and greatly admire your fortitude.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon