Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Weed Identification

Hi all

Can anyone help identify 2 weeds please?

The first and less problematic is a trailing thing that has "sticky" foliage
and grabs your hands/clothes. The routes are fine and spidery.

The second and I suspect more serious looks a bit like the start of a
thistle, but isn't prickly.
One key identifier is the route, which is ususally a single white affair and
extends down to the depth of a trowel (including handle). The route is the
same diameter (2-3mm) over its length rather than tapered. I believe I have
also seen these in bunches with the single routes clumped together. Also I
noticed that one or two appear to have grown from a short length of stray
route. Sorry don't have pics.

Any help appreciated.

Phil