Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed Identification

Hi all

Can anyone help identify 2 weeds please?

The first and less problematic is a trailing thing that has "sticky" foliage
and grabs your hands/clothes. The routes are fine and spidery.

The second and I suspect more serious looks a bit like the start of a
thistle, but isn't prickly.
One key identifier is the route, which is ususally a single white affair and
extends down to the depth of a trowel (including handle). The route is the
same diameter (2-3mm) over its length rather than tapered. I believe I have
also seen these in bunches with the single routes clumped together. Also I
noticed that one or two appear to have grown from a short length of stray
route. Sorry don't have pics.

Any help appreciated.

Phil

Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Can anyone help identify 2 weeds please?

The first and less problematic is a trailing thing that has "sticky"
foliage and grabs your hands/clothes. The routes are fine and spidery.

The second and I suspect more serious looks a bit like the start of a
thistle, but isn't prickly.
One key identifier is the route, which is ususally a single white affair
and extends down to the depth of a trowel (including handle). The route
is the same diameter (2-3mm) over its length rather than tapered. I
believe I have also seen these in bunches with the single routes clumped
together. Also I noticed that one or two appear to have grown from a
short length of stray route. Sorry don't have pics.

Any help appreciated.

Phil

Difficult without a picture or a flower, but I'll offer an intelligent
guess. Could the first be Goosegrass/Cleavers/Sticky Willie? Could the
second be Sow Thistle?

Spider

Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spider
writes

[...]

The first sounds very like cleavers. Growing from a bit of stray root
suggests creeping thistle, but I can't imagine anyone thinking that
that's nor prickly. Sow thistle seems as good as guess as any, but what
one person thinks looks like the start (basal rosette?) of a thistle is
not necessarily what another person thinks looks likes the start of a
thistle.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Spider
writes
"TheScullster" wrote in message
t.uk...

The first and less problematic is a trailing thing that has "sticky"
foliage and grabs your hands/clothes. The routes are fine and spidery.

As everyone says :-)

[...]

There are quite a few such plants, and I have a particular annoying
one, which may well be what the OP has. Unfortunately, I don't know
the weedy compositae at all well, so can't say what it is. If it is,
the way to get rid of it is by regular digging and/or pulling up from
well below the surface and/or glyphosate. Just like most other pains
of that sort.

I always think of it as hawkweed, for no good reason, but it almost
certainly isn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Spider
writes
"TheScullster" wrote in message
et.uk...

[...]

I'm slowly learning to identify the various cichorioid daisies. It was
only last year that I worked out that what I thought was some sort of
hawkweed was in fact catsear. I'm still defeated by the various
hawkweeds/beards/bits, but a lot seem to key out as Crepis.

Sow thistle isn't too difficult to pull up, depending on soil
conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 08-06-2009, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

I'm slowly learning to identify the various cichorioid daisies. It was
only last year that I worked out that what I thought was some sort of
hawkweed was in fact catsear. I'm still defeated by the various
hawkweeds/beards/bits, but a lot seem to key out as Crepis.

Sow thistle isn't too difficult to pull up, depending on soil
conditions.

Whatever it is I have combines the evilness of both dandelion and
ground elder, without being as extreme as either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-06-2009, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I always think of it as hawkweed, for no good reason, but it almost
certainly isn't.

That amused me. I have a weed that I now know is knotgrass. I call it
pipeweed which is the name I invented for it before I knew what it was.
It will always be pipeweed to me.

Tina

We've got one of those. Our garden was infested with Japanese Knotweed
when we moved in. We didn't know its name then, so we called it
Doomweed. We still do call it that but, fortunately, we managed to get
rid of it. Interestingly, our Doomweed is a very close relative of your
pipeweed.

My pipeweed is gone too. It was taken out by a new neighbour with a
bulldozer who thought my side border belonged to him. Along with all
sorts of plants that were precious, had been given to me by friends and
relatives now passed away.
I came home from work to see carnage, the border was gone. Dug up.
I nearly went crazy to see that the plants my late mother had grown from a
cutting for me were destroyed. I wept and wept
My other neighbour held me back from serious consequences. Good job she
did.

Tina

That's horrendous! Poor you; I'm not surprised you wept. Somethings simply
cannot be bought, and plants with that kind of emotional provenance are
amongst them. I find it hard to believe that anyone could fail to know
their own boundaries; I've always known where mine were, and maintain them.
Alas, few people keep their own deeds these days, so it's very hard to check
without paying a solicitor. It's still a poor excuse, though. If I were
having serious works done to my garden which required a bulldozer, I would
certainly talk to my neighbours beforehand, just out of courtesy. Had this
happened in your case, you would not have sustained such losses. I hope you
were recompensed by your thoughtless neighbours.

Spider

Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
weed identification paxwax Australia 1 01-09-2003 01:32 AM
Weed Identification assistance please! Larry Gardening 13 14-06-2003 12:20 AM
Weed Identification Bonnie Espenshade Gardening 6 10-06-2003 01:56 AM
Weed identification GeoThermal United Kingdom 6 03-04-2003 05:45 PM