Old 08-06-2009, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any Fruit Experts?

In article ,
says...
Hi all

I have had a problem with a blackcurrant bush and wanted to check it out
with you.

The bush in question grew 3 or 4 stems which all went up vertically (rather
than spreading to a bush form).
Leaves formed, but all the stems and leaves kind of clumped together. Then
the leaves kind of screwed themselves up.
To avoid transfer of disease, I cut this bush down to ground level to see if
it would return.

I have 2 other blackcurrant bushes and 3 redcurrants. The 2 blackcurrant
bushes have had some leaves turn yellow and drop.
Some of the younger leaf tips are showing signs of screwing up. The
redcurrant bushes appear unaffected.

Questions:

What has caused the demise of the first tree?
Should I be removing all bushes to eliminate disease, or is there a spray to
resolve this?
I have first-season apple and plumb trees in touching distance of the
blackcurrant bushes - can these be affected?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

I think if you look inside the clumped together bit you will find either
caterpillars or aphids either are easy enough to treat but chose an
insecticide for edible plants
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk