Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default My poor Wisteria :-(

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 keith kent wrote:
Hello All , i have a Wisteria that is growing on a pergola it has been there
for 5 years , it faces west and is established and flowering size .
After the hot weather we had end of May it suddenly looked like it wilted
,every leaf.So i gave it a good soaking but it hasn`t picked up and the
leafs are starting to dry up .
I have a Wisteria standard in a oak barrel which is only about 3m away which
is totally fine .
Any ideas folks ,i live in Nottingham ,UK

Not as such. But I have a wisteria (grown from seed actually so it has
never flowered but I'm eternal optimist!) whose buds started swelling in
spring but never burst into leaf. A week or two ago I noticed it
throwing out shoots from the main stem. I don't think that it was frost
that got it.

I had another one against a wall of a stone house. A couple of years ago
we had the wall repointed during the winter and the builders carefully
laid the wisteria on the ground while they did the work and then put it
back. It died.

So what I am saying is that I have found wisteria to be very touchy
about how they are treated. Maybe, if you leave yours long enough, it
will shoot out again.

David

http://rance.org.uk