Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
keith kent keith kent is offline

Default My poor Wisteria :-(

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
Hello All , i have a Wisteria that is growing on a pergola it has been
there
for 5 years , it faces west and is established and flowering size .
After the hot weather we had end of May it suddenly looked like it wilted
,every leaf.So i gave it a good soaking but it hasn`t picked up and the
leafs are starting to dry up .
I have a Wisteria standard in a oak barrel which is only about 3m away
which
is totally fine .
Any ideas folks ,i live in Nottingham ,UK

Regards Keith

Its strange, I have had loads of similar questions here at the nursery
including some Wisteria plants not far from me, (mine is fine) and the
range of ages of the effected plants suggests it is not an establishment
issue, my next thought was water logging last year damaging roots but
Wisteria grow next to swamps and like water so it seems unlikely, then of
course there was the cold but Wisteria are normally fully hardy as plants
(we plant them on walls to protect the flower buds) but it may be the
lack of sun last year failed to ripen the wood, but that would not
explain why older plants with large trunks have gone so I am very worried
it may have something to do with the current outbreak of Phytophora
ramora (spell?) if it is there is nothing you can do
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

It is strange , this year it didn`t get frosted in leaf so can rule that out
,it looks like it has been completely sprayed with weed killer ,but is the
only plant in my garden effected.The wood is still green so there is hope it
may come back to life .
Regards Keith