Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking,uk.rec.gardening
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Protective finish for bamboo water pipe.

On 10 June, 10:35, "john royce" wrote:
We want to make a water feature in the garden.... a traditional japanese
bamboo water spout type thing.

The bamboo we have is about 6.5 cm in diameter and has one end bevelled
which will be the water spout.

Some of the thin outer bark of the bamboo is splitting away from the end,
although it still remains attached. *What would be the best thing to glue it
back down into place?

The Japanese use wabi sabi

*Also what would be the best varnish or treatment to give the bamboo which
would stand up to the rainy U.K. climate, *

Not much. Live with it. Bamboos about as tough as you'll get garden-
wise. Epoxy and embedded copper pipe if you must.