Old 10-06-2009, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Poppy seeds

On 2009-06-10 16:10:10 +0100, "Kathy" said:

The cliff gardens in town have some wonderful poppies growing in them -
frilled, various shades for mauve and so on. Unfortunately, the council
is
in the process of "formalising" the gardens, and are about to rip them
all
out! If I go and take some seed pods now, while they are still green,
will
the seed ripen?

Unlikely, I'd think but you have nothing to lose by trying. But can't you
ask them to let you stick some in pots and take them away. They might
make it!

I could try, but I'd probably have to be there ready for them to demolish
the delightful wild bed. As I work odd days [so do they but our days don't
seem to coincide] this could be difficult. I could just go and pinch them,
of course :-}

Well, here, it's dark and it's raining......I'd say your chances are
great to terrific. ;-) OTOH, you could take them a huge box of
chocolates and ask them to indulge you. (I'd suggest cans of beer but
I'm sure elf 'n safetee wouldn't like that)
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon