Old 13-06-2009, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Black Walnut Growth Rate Issues...

"VSAvatar" wrote in message
I planted a black walnut from a bare root sapling about 3 years ago
and it only seems to grow about 3-4 inches per year instead of the
1'-1.5' I hear it's supposed to grow. While I don't have a problem
with it taking 100 years to reach full height, I'm more concerned that
it will simply stop growing at age 20 and I'll have an 8 foot walnut
bonsai tree. I assume part of the problem is that the tree is only in
partial sun rather than full sun because of some maple trees not too
far away, but I don't know if that's all that can account for it. It
appears rather healthy except for the lack of growth. Any ideas?

Partial shade is a big part of the problem. Also soil type and nutrients
available will have a large effect, as is adequate water. It's probably
still small enough to easily move it to a better location.