Old 13-06-2009, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default can't grow (snow) peas

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 13:17:50 -0400, Ernie Willson
wrote:

Nanzi wrote:
On Jun 12, 8:54 am, George wrote:
We grow a considerable variety of vegetables from seed: beans, beets,
turnips, radishes, kale, sometimes corn, etc. We get good germination
rates on pretty much everything, except peas. (Snow & Sugar Snap, if it
matters.) For those, we get maybe one in ten, at best. The few that do
germinate seem to grow OK. Not that we have a lot to compare them to.

We're in central NY, zone 5-ish. We start planting (peas) around
mid-April, depending on the weather, and give up around the beginning of
June.

I kind of suspect the problem is soil temperature. But (a) you're
supposed to plant peas early (?), and (b) everything else explodes in
early June, so it seems like we've covered both ends of the temperature
range.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Did you buy the seeds from Walmart? We had 6 of 60 seeds DH planted
last year from there germinate. This is the 2nd or 3rd time Walmart
seeds or plants didn't either germinate or thrive. I'm done with
Walmart. We got seeds from an ag seed store this year and have a full
row of them, producing already here in DE. And we've had a cold
loooooonnggg spring.Phooey on Walmart!!
Nan in DE

"DH"=??

EJ in NJ

D = your choice of Dear, Damn, Darling, Despicable, Debauched, Daft,
Daffy, Dazed, Daydreaming, Dazzling, etc.
H = Husband.

RR in ON

Hey, I represent that remark.
--