Old 15-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Shiva

Default Mr. Lincoln???

dave weil wrote:

So, you guys know that I picked up a "Mr. Lincoln". However, I have to
wonder if it really *is* Mr. Lincoln.

I thought that Mr. Lincoln was a pure, deep red. However, this very
big, "smelly" g bloom has a lot of purple in it (at least it seems
that way to me).

Dave! I TOLD you it is not red--or, more accurately, it is red as a bud
then for about 15 minutes before it turns magenta/purply. This is
called "bluing." Your rose sure looks like it to me--just a shallow bloom
on an immature plant. See that white stripe? This is the telltale sign of
this little incestuous family of roses. Chrysler and others in the family
have the stripe and the "bluing" too. Nice scent, though, isn't it? I
picked up both Chrysler and Ingrid Bergman and put them back yesterday.
Such self control!