Old 13-06-2009, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed Identification

"Spider" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I always think of it as hawkweed, for no good reason, but it almost
certainly isn't.

That amused me. I have a weed that I now know is knotgrass. I call it
pipeweed which is the name I invented for it before I knew what it was.
It will always be pipeweed to me.

Tina

We've got one of those. Our garden was infested with Japanese Knotweed
when we moved in. We didn't know its name then, so we called it Doomweed.
We still do call it that but, fortunately, we managed to get rid of it.
Interestingly, our Doomweed is a very close relative of your pipeweed.

My pipeweed is gone too. It was taken out by a new neighbour with a
bulldozer who thought my side border belonged to him. Along with all sorts
of plants that were precious, had been given to me by friends and relatives
now passed away.
I came home from work to see carnage, the border was gone. Dug up.
I nearly went crazy to see that the plants my late mother had grown from a
cutting for me were destroyed. I wept and wept
My other neighbour held me back from serious consequences. Good job she
did.

Tina