Old 15-06-2009, 12:28 PM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] rainman@mailinator.com is offline

Default Growing Camellia Sinensis

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:26:41 +1000, "Rob B" wrote:

Hi,

I am looking at trying to grow a Camellia Sinensis plant and eventually
making black tea from it. I have no gardening experience, I just thought
this would be a fun little thing to do. I thought I would ask here to see
if anyone has any experience growing it in Australia, I live in Melbourne,
around the Dandenong's.
I'm not even sure if I live in the right climate to grow it.

The furthest south in Australia that commercial tea plantations exist is on the central coast of NSW. Personally, I reckon they
will go broke because growing camellia sinensis as a commercial crop really requires a tropical climate where the plant will grow
throughout the year. Tea itself is made from the new growth of the plant and in cooler climates you will only get one or two lots
of new growth in a season. The best tea plantations in Australia are up on the Atherton Tableland.

The plant itself will grow just fine where you are so enjoy it for it's flowers and buy some teabags at Coles. ;-)