Old 15-06-2009, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Weed Identification

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I always think of it as hawkweed, for no good reason, but it almost
certainly isn't.

That amused me. I have a weed that I now know is knotgrass. I call it
pipeweed which is the name I invented for it before I knew what it was.
It will always be pipeweed to me.

Tina

We've got one of those. Our garden was infested with Japanese Knotweed
when we moved in. We didn't know its name then, so we called it
Doomweed. We still do call it that but, fortunately, we managed to get
rid of it. Interestingly, our Doomweed is a very close relative of your
pipeweed.

My pipeweed is gone too. It was taken out by a new neighbour with a
bulldozer who thought my side border belonged to him. Along with all
sorts of plants that were precious, had been given to me by friends and
relatives now passed away.
I came home from work to see carnage, the border was gone. Dug up.
I nearly went crazy to see that the plants my late mother had grown from a
cutting for me were destroyed. I wept and wept
My other neighbour held me back from serious consequences. Good job she
did.

Tina

That's horrendous! Poor you; I'm not surprised you wept. Somethings simply
cannot be bought, and plants with that kind of emotional provenance are
amongst them. I find it hard to believe that anyone could fail to know
their own boundaries; I've always known where mine were, and maintain them.
Alas, few people keep their own deeds these days, so it's very hard to check
without paying a solicitor. It's still a poor excuse, though. If I were
having serious works done to my garden which required a bulldozer, I would
certainly talk to my neighbours beforehand, just out of courtesy. Had this
happened in your case, you would not have sustained such losses. I hope you
were recompensed by your thoughtless neighbours.

Spider