Old 15-06-2009, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
VSAvatar VSAvatar is offline

Default Black Walnut Growth Rate Issues...

I kind of had a feeling it was something to that effect. The tree was
planted more for my Dad's benefit than mine. I wanted a cherry
blossom tree with the hope that cherries wouldn't grow on it due to
the partial shade issue but that we would still get the flowers each
year, but my Dad overruled me because he wanted a walnut or an oak
tree. Unfortunately the parcel of land we're on is not that large.
The place I planted it is actually the best place I can find in the
yard. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens with it at
this point. I've never seen a bonsai walnut tree before, so maybe
there's a first time for everything. When I get my own house I'm
going to make sure I have a large enough plot of land to grow the
trees I want, as to me they are a defining part of the landscape.

On Jun 13, 4:05*pm, "brooklyn1" wrote:
"VSAvatar" wrote in message

I planted a black walnut from a bare root sapling about 3 years ago
and it only seems to grow about 3-4 inches per year instead of the
1'-1.5' I hear it's supposed to grow. *While I don't have a problem
with it taking 100 years to reach full height, I'm more concerned that
it will simply stop growing at age 20 and I'll have an 8 foot walnut
bonsai tree. *I assume part of the problem is that the tree is only in
partial sun rather than full sun because of some maple trees not too
far away, but I don't know if that's all that can account for it. *It
appears rather healthy except for the lack of growth. *Any ideas?

Partial shade is a big part of the problem. *Also soil type and nutrients
available will have a large effect, as is adequate water. *It's probably
still small enough to easily move it to a better location.