Old 15-06-2009, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jon[_10_] Jon[_10_] is offline

Default Keeping a small square of turf alive

On 2009-06-13 15:28:23 +0100, bobharvey said:

On 13 June, 01:17, "Jon" wrote:
Hello

My football club is closing down and I have the chance of getting a for
square of turf to keep.

As I have no lawn at home, how do I keep this square foot alive? Do I
put
soil or compost underneath. Any help is appreciated

It is a whole bunch of plants. They need growing medium, water,
sunlight, and occasional feeding.

I'd put some compost in a seed tray and embed it firmly, and keep it
watered and in sunlight.

One of those outdoor plant trough things that cost a fiver from
garages might do the job too, at the cost of more compost.

You won't be able to mow it, of course, but a small pair of shears or
one of those electic hedge trimmers (spit) might do the job.

A bit of lawn food every spring would keep it happy.

PS Make sure it can drain after watering it or after it's rained upon.
Keep watered in dry spells. If you're really, really sentimental about
it, propagate it!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.