Old 13-06-2009, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Keeping a small square of turf alive

Hello

My football club is closing down and I have the chance of getting a for
square of turf to keep.

As I have no lawn at home, how do I keep this square foot alive? Do I put
soil or compost underneath. Any help is appreciated

Old 13-06-2009, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jon" wrote in message
Hello

My football club is closing down and I have the chance of getting a for
square of turf to keep.

As I have no lawn at home, how do I keep this square foot alive? Do I put
soil or compost underneath. Any help is appreciated

where do u plan on putting it?

Old 13-06-2009, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"pied piper" wrote in message
news

"Jon" wrote in message
Hello

My football club is closing down and I have the chance of getting a for
square of turf to keep.

As I have no lawn at home, how do I keep this square foot alive? Do I put
soil or compost underneath. Any help is appreciated

where do u plan on putting it?

sorry. I wanted to know if i could keep it alove in a pot or seed tray
outside

Old 13-06-2009, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jon" wrote in message

"pied piper" wrote in message
news

"Jon" wrote in message
Hello

My football club is closing down and I have the chance of getting a for
square of turf to keep.

As I have no lawn at home, how do I keep this square foot alive? Do I
put soil or compost underneath. Any help is appreciated

where do u plan on putting it?

sorry. I wanted to know if i could keep it alove in a pot or seed tray
outside yes grass is like any other plant sun and water required

Old 13-06-2009, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 13, 1:17*am, "Jon" wrote:
Hello

My football club is closing down and I have the chance of getting a for
square of turf to keep.

As I have no lawn at home, how do I keep this square foot alive? Do I put
soil or compost underneath. Any help is appreciated

You have to treat it in the manner it is used to: Run over it wearing
footy boots every Saturday afternoon. Spit on it copiously. Finally
scream referee insults at it at regular intervals. During the week get
your dog to pee on daily. I think you will find it will flourish under
these conditions and not notice that the rest of it's mates have taken
an early bath.

Old 13-06-2009, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jun 13, 1:17 am, "Jon" wrote:
Hello

My football club is closing down and I have the chance of getting a for
square of turf to keep.

As I have no lawn at home, how do I keep this square foot alive? Do I put
soil or compost underneath. Any help is appreciated

You have to treat it in the manner it is used to: Run over it wearing
footy boots every Saturday afternoon. Spit on it copiously. Finally
scream referee insults at it at regular intervals. During the week get
your dog to pee on daily. I think you will find it will flourish under
these conditions and not notice that the rest of it's mates have taken
an early bath.

What about one of those gang motor mowers, will he need to buy one of those?

Mike

Old 13-06-2009, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 June, 01:17, "Jon" wrote:
Hello

My football club is closing down and I have the chance of getting a for
square of turf to keep.

As I have no lawn at home, how do I keep this square foot alive? Do I put
soil or compost underneath. Any help is appreciated

It is a whole bunch of plants. They need growing medium, water,
sunlight, and occasional feeding.

I'd put some compost in a seed tray and embed it firmly, and keep it
watered and in sunlight.

One of those outdoor plant trough things that cost a fiver from
garages might do the job too, at the cost of more compost.

You won't be able to mow it, of course, but a small pair of shears or
one of those electic hedge trimmers (spit) might do the job.

A bit of lawn food every spring would keep it happy.
Old 15-06-2009, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-13 15:28:23 +0100, bobharvey said:

On 13 June, 01:17, "Jon" wrote:
Hello

My football club is closing down and I have the chance of getting a for
square of turf to keep.

As I have no lawn at home, how do I keep this square foot alive? Do I put
soil or compost underneath. Any help is appreciated

It is a whole bunch of plants. They need growing medium, water,
sunlight, and occasional feeding.

I'd put some compost in a seed tray and embed it firmly, and keep it
watered and in sunlight.

One of those outdoor plant trough things that cost a fiver from
garages might do the job too, at the cost of more compost.

You won't be able to mow it, of course, but a small pair of shears or
one of those electic hedge trimmers (spit) might do the job.

A bit of lawn food every spring would keep it happy.

PS Make sure it can drain after watering it or after it's rained upon.
Keep watered in dry spells. If you're really, really sentimental
about it, propagate it!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 15-06-2009, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-13 15:28:23 +0100, bobharvey said:

On 13 June, 01:17, "Jon" wrote:
[...]

How would I propagate it please

Old 16-06-2009, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 15, 11:25*pm, "Jon" wrote:

How would I propagate it please-

I'm sorry, Jon, attitudes have relaxed in recent years but
relationships of that kind between a man and a chunk of turf are still
frowned upon. Have you thought about a civil partnership?

Old 16-06-2009, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-13 15:28:23 +0100, bobharvey said:

On 13 June, 01:17, "Jon" wrote:
Hello

My football club is closing down and I have the chance of getting a for
square of turf to keep.

As I have no lawn at home, how do I keep this square foot alive? Do I put
soil or compost underneath. Any help is appreciated
snip

How would I propagate it please

Let it run to seed and plant the seeds to make a fresh turf.