Old 16-06-2009, 06:55 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Growing Camellia Sinensis

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Loosecanon wrote:
"Rob B" wrote in message
news

If you do decide to grow camellia's you will need an acid soil 6.2 to
6.8 pH.

I have little experience with camelias generally and none with C. sinensis
so bear with me. Why do you suggest such a narrow pH range that is only
slightly acid? This is right in the range usually given for growing most
vegetables and many grasses, shrubs and trees. Common wisdom is that
camelias like soil that is more acid than most, is this wrong or does it
not apply to sinensis?. A number of references about C. sinensis suggest
ranges like 4.5 to 6.0.

David

I have C. japonicas I assumed that was the range. I just knew you didn't
want them on the alkaline side of the equation. I hadn't thought they liked
acidity as much as azalea's do.

Richard