Old 16-06-2009, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fred Fred is offline

Default secateurs

Hello,

My secateurs have broken but after decades of use, I can't complain.

I am bewildered by the choice out the bypass and anvil secateurs,
what do they mean? What are the differences between them?

I also see that some boast they can cut branches an inch in diameter.
Can they really? I am sure the jaws open that wide, but can you really
put enough pressure to cut through something that thick? Or are
ratchet secateurs best for in this instance?

TIA