Old 16-06-2009, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default secateurs

Hello,

My secateurs have broken but after decades of use, I can't complain.

I am bewildered by the choice out the bypass and anvil secateurs,
what do they mean? What are the differences between them?

I also see that some boast they can cut branches an inch in diameter.
Can they really? I am sure the jaws open that wide, but can you really
put enough pressure to cut through something that thick? Or are
ratchet secateurs best for in this instance?

TIA
Old 16-06-2009, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:06:21 +0100, Fred wrote:

Hello,

My secateurs have broken but after decades of use, I can't complain.

Felco. YKIMS.
Old 16-06-2009, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote
after, Fred wrote:

My secateurs have broken but after decades of use, I can't complain.

Felco. YKIMS.

All the professional gardeners can't be wrong, Felco, expensive but you get
what you pay for.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-06-2009, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Derek Turner" wrote
after, Fred wrote:

My secateurs have broken but after decades of use, I can't complain.

Felco. YKIMS.

All the professional gardeners can't be wrong, Felco, expensive but you
get what you pay for.

--

True.

I treated us to a pair of the Bosch re-chargeable battery ones, me being a
bit arthritis bound.
Super ! - but not cheap (:-(

It is now snip,snip, snip on a daily basis (:- )

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 17-06-2009, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-17 13:09:51 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
said:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Derek Turner" wrote
after, Fred wrote:

My secateurs have broken but after decades of use, I can't complain.

Felco. YKIMS.

All the professional gardeners can't be wrong, Felco, expensive but you
get what you pay for.

--

True.

I treated us to a pair of the Bosch re-chargeable battery ones, me being a
bit arthritis bound.
Super ! - but not cheap (:-(

It is now snip,snip, snip on a daily basis (:- )

Could someone please recommend secateurs with an integral wire cutter? TIA.

Old 17-06-2009, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote
Could someone please recommend secateurs with an integral wire cutter?
TIA.

Err.... would you believe....Felco. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-06-2009, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-17 18:43:14 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Stan The Man" wrote
Could someone please recommend secateurs with an integral wire cutter?
TIA.

Err.... would you believe....Felco. :-)

Thanks - now found online. But local Wyevale didn't have them...

Old 18-06-2009, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-17 18:43:14 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Stan The Man" wrote
Could someone please recommend secateurs with an integral wire cutter?
TIA.

Err.... would you believe....Felco. :-)

Thanks - now found online. But local Wyevale didn't have them...

Share your online discovery perhaps.
It is what groups are about (:-)
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 18-06-2009, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote
"Bob Hobden" said:
"Stan The Man" wrote
Could someone please recommend secateurs with an integral wire cutter?
TIA.

Err.... would you believe....Felco. :-)

Thanks - now found online. But local Wyevale didn't have them...

No they wouldn't, too expensive for them, they don't tend to cater for
serious gardeners.
Look for a quality independent GC, RHS Wisley stock them, or buy online.
However it would be best if you tried them in your hand first they make
quite a range.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-06-2009, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-18 20:57:47 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"

"Stan The Man" wrote

Choice of several at http://www.garden4less.co.uk/felco-secateurs.asp

Old 19-06-2009, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Fred
writes
Hello,

My secateurs have broken but after decades of use, I can't complain.

I am bewildered by the choice out the bypass and anvil secateurs,
what do they mean? What are the differences between them?

I also see that some boast they can cut branches an inch in diameter.
Can they really? I am sure the jaws open that wide, but can you really
put enough pressure to cut through something that thick? Or are
ratchet secateurs best for in this instance?

I recently bought a pair of Wilkinsons' bypass secateurs - one larger
than the other - on special offer from Robert Dyas at £14.95.

As regards cutting larger branches, another excellent offer was a lopper
with handles extending to about 3 feet and capable of cutting branches
up to 40 mm in diameter from Lidl for £4.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 23-06-2009, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Could someone please recommend secateurs with an integral wire cutter?
TIA.

Ummm - OK.

Try secateurs with an integral wire cutter !!! ;-)

Old 27-06-2009, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Derek Turner" wrote
after, Fred wrote:

My secateurs have broken but after decades of use, I can't complain.

Felco. YKIMS.

All the professional gardeners can't be wrong, Felco, expensive but you
get what you pay for.

I hope their handles are a startling colour so you find them when you didn't
your green ones. I

Old 28-06-2009, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Derek Turner" wrote
after, Fred wrote:
My secateurs have broken but after decades of use, I can't complain.

Felco. YKIMS.

All the professional gardeners can't be wrong, Felco, expensive but you
get what you pay for.

I hope their handles are a startling colour so you find them when you didn't
your green ones. I

My wife is terrible for leaving mine lying around. I've found them lost
in the compost, another time lost buried in the earth and also just
generally left laying around anywhere. And why oh why doesn't she close
them when not in use and flick the little safety catch on them. frown.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 28-06-2009, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-28 11:05:54 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Derek Turner" wrote
after, Fred wrote:
My secateurs have broken but after decades of use, I can't complain.

Felco. YKIMS.
All the professional gardeners can't be wrong, Felco, expensive but you
get what you pay for.

I hope their handles are a startling colour so you find them when you
didn't your green ones. I

My wife is terrible for leaving mine lying around. I've found them lost
in the compost, another time lost buried in the earth and also just
generally left laying around anywhere. And why oh why doesn't she close
them when not in use and flick the little safety catch on them. frown.

Ahem. Loo seat left up or down? Top put back on toothpaste? Dirty
clothes on floor or in laundry basket? Plate straight into dishwasher
or left on work surface? ;-)))

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Secateurs [email protected] United Kingdom 0 13-02-2004 11:27 PM
Felco secateurs Robert United Kingdom 8 03-08-2003 09:42 AM
secateurs Derryl Killan United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 06:20 PM
secateurs Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:14 AM
Recommended Secateurs ? Tim United Kingdom 11 03-02-2003 08:15 PM