Old 16-06-2009, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Black Walnut Growth Rate Issues...

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"brooklyn1" wrote:
"VSAvatar" wrote in message

I planted a black walnut from a bare root sapling about 3 years ago
and it only seems to grow about 3-4 inches per year instead of the
1'-1.5' I hear it's supposed to grow. While I don't have a problem
with it taking 100 years to reach full height, I'm more concerned that
it will simply stop growing at age 20 and I'll have an 8 foot walnut
bonsai tree. I assume part of the problem is that the tree is only in
partial sun rather than full sun because of some maple trees not too
far away, but I don't know if that's all that can account for it. It
appears rather healthy except for the lack of growth. Any ideas?

Partial shade is a big part of the problem. Also soil type and nutrients
available will have a large effect, as is adequate water. It's probably
still small enough to easily move it to a better location.

The maples are a big part of the problem. Not much of anything
including grass grows under maples.

You've got it back asswards; not much grows under walnut, they poison the
soil.

The OP already indicated that his yard is rather small so any discussion
about his growing walnut is rather moot... walnut trees grow huge... his
choices are to grow a smaller tree or get a larger yard.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/treesel...fm?PlantID=217