Old 18-06-2009, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default something nice to cover a big shed please

On 2009-06-18 16:57:54 +0100, Martin said:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:23:31 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:55:18 +0100, luckyrid
wrote:

Hi there, first post here.... I've just had a new shed dlivered and it
looks far bigger than in the picture.

I need something to grow up the side and disguise it. Only trouble is
my shed is by a very large sycamore tree that I'm presuming sucks all
the good stuff out of the soil as its all a bit dry and dusty there.

Any suggestions other than russian vine?

Thanks all!

I would go for clematis armandii. It is evergreen and once
established it will grow fast, with white flowers in spring.

I'd recommend that too.

To help anything establish there can you dig a big hole and fill it
with good compost and plenty of humus.

no dead donkey?

Knowing where the OP lives will make a lot of difference to what is
recommended. Clematis armandii is lovely but it's not reliably hardy.
Also, just as a caution, Sycamores are attractive to aphids which can
drop onto plants beneath so I wouldn't suggest a rose there. All being
equal and the climate not too cold for too long, I'd recommend
Holboellia coriacea; it grows very quickly, is evergreen and has highly
scented small flowers in May. I don't think it's known for any
especial pests or disease problems.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.