Old 18-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Registered User

Default something nice to cover a big shed please

Hi there, first post here.... I've just had a new shed dlivered and it looks far bigger than in the picture.

I need something to grow up the side and disguise it. Only trouble is my shed is by a very large sycamore tree that I'm presuming sucks all the good stuff out of the soil as its all a bit dry and dusty there.

Any suggestions other than russian vine?

Thanks all!
Old 18-06-2009, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
luckyrid

We have a Rose called Wedding Day covering a fence and shed...it grows
at 100mph and spreads like wild-fire..it looks great as well,
aspecialy this time of year
Old 18-06-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"GarryAC" wrote in message
On 18 June, 12:55, luckyrid
wrote:
Hi there, first post here.... I've just had a new shed dlivered and it
looks far bigger than in the picture.

I need something to grow up the side and disguise it. Only trouble is
my shed is by a very large sycamore tree that I'm presuming sucks all
the good stuff out of the soil as its all a bit dry and dusty there.

Any suggestions other than russian vine?

Thanks all!

--
luckyrid

We have a Rose called Wedding Day covering a fence and shed...it grows
at 100mph and spreads like wild-fire..it looks great as well,
aspecialy this time of year

Might grow at 100mph, but does it know when to stop?

We tried to get a Honeysuckle to stretch from a trellis, across a 'bridge'
to the shed, but it had 'limited distance capabilities' and stopped short.

Mike

Old 18-06-2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:55:18 +0100, luckyrid
wrote:

Hi there, first post here.... I've just had a new shed dlivered and it
looks far bigger than in the picture.

I need something to grow up the side and disguise it. Only trouble is
my shed is by a very large sycamore tree that I'm presuming sucks all
the good stuff out of the soil as its all a bit dry and dusty there.

Any suggestions other than russian vine?

Thanks all!

I would go for clematis armandii. It is evergreen and once
established it will grow fast, with white flowers in spring.
To help anything establish there can you dig a big hole and fill it
with good compost and plenty of humus.

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-06-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

luckyrid wrote:

Any suggestions other than russian vine?

Damn! I was going to suggest that! ;-)

Had one at a previous house in England, it did rather well!
Bought one here to cover a derelict barn and it is sulking, hardly
growing. I thought they were unstoppable thugs, but this one is a pansy.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 18-06-2009, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, GarryAC wrote
On 18 June, 12:55, luckyrid
wrote:
Hi there, first post here.... I've just had a new shed dlivered and it
looks far bigger than in the picture.

I need something to grow up the side and disguise it. Only trouble is
my shed is by a very large sycamore tree that I'm presuming sucks all
the good stuff out of the soil as its all a bit dry and dusty there.

Any suggestions other than russian vine?

Thanks all!

--
luckyrid

We have a Rose called Wedding Day covering a fence and shed...it grows
at 100mph and spreads like wild-fire..it looks great as well,
aspecialy this time of year

We were given one for our wedding three years ago. It took a year to
get established, but this year it is positively rampant. It's so wound
in amongst other stuff it's difficult to get a proper photo, but here's
a close-up of a branch:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/pho...08Q?feat=direc
tlink

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 18-06-2009, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-18 16:57:54 +0100, Martin said:

wrote:

Hi there, first post here.... I've just had a new shed dlivered and it
looks far bigger than in the picture.

I need something to grow up the side and disguise it. Only trouble is
my shed is by a very large sycamore tree that I'm presuming sucks all
the good stuff out of the soil as its all a bit dry and dusty there.

Any suggestions other than russian vine?

Thanks all!

I would go for clematis armandii. It is evergreen and once
established it will grow fast, with white flowers in spring.

I'd recommend that too.

To help anything establish there can you dig a big hole and fill it
with good compost and plenty of humus.

no dead donkey?

Knowing where the OP lives will make a lot of difference to what is
recommended. Clematis armandii is lovely but it's not reliably hardy.
Also, just as a caution, Sycamores are attractive to aphids which can
drop onto plants beneath so I wouldn't suggest a rose there. All being
equal and the climate not too cold for too long, I'd recommend
Holboellia coriacea; it grows very quickly, is evergreen and has highly
scented small flowers in May. I don't think it's known for any
especial pests or disease problems.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 18-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyrid View Post
Hi there, first post here.... I've just had a new shed dlivered and it looks far bigger than in the picture.

I need something to grow up the side and disguise it. Only trouble is my shed is by a very large sycamore tree that I'm presuming sucks all the good stuff out of the soil as its all a bit dry and dusty there.

Any suggestions other than russian vine?

Thanks all!
Virginia creeper [Ampelopsis]
Clematis montana
Old 19-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Registered User

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

Will these things grow in soil that is just three or four feet away from a huge sycamore tree given that I would have to dig a hole in the soil through the roots?
Old 19-06-2009, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-19 11:58:54 +0100, luckyrid
said:

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

Will these things grow in soil that is just three or four feet away
from a huge sycamore tree given that I would have to dig a hole in the
soil through the roots?

I think they're going to struggle with the competition but if you can
make a large hole and fill it with good compost so as to give the plant
a good start, it might be okay. But don't forget to keep watering it
until it's really well established. It IS a bit touch and go but if
you buy a good plant with plenty of root and a bit of growth, not a
titchy baby, then you might be lucky.