Old 15-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] P.O'd at stupidity -- MINE!

Hi Jim. You note,
Did a program on displaying bonsai (at home and at shows)
yesterday for our club... ...BIG SNIP....

I am sorry you can't share photos of your displays. I hope

you'll tell us
what you found in creating eight display spaces and

manipulating twenty
bonsai plus stands and accessory objects among them. Perhaps

that doesn't
require photos. While I like traditional display, it is not a

possibility
for many homes with kids, dogs, furniture, sitting at chair

height et al.
Other models are needed.

With 20 trees you must have shared a lot and re-worked the

eight areas with
numerous options! Sounds great. Did your 'club tokonoma'

also represent
space available in a Western home? I wonder how you managed

Western room
accommodation.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

The club's Tokonoma is a very well-done portable one, complete
with tatami floor and "moon" window. I used it to set up a mame
display with my full-moon-shaped stand and a penjing that also
follows the curved motif. I borrowed a calligraphy kakemono that
I hope didn't represent some obscene word for the hanging. All
of my kakemono are much too large for this potable stand, and a
bit delicate to boot. (I was told that this was picked up in BCI
Orlando this years, so I am reasonably confident that it was
polite ;-)

For the others, I set up end-table and wall displays that mimic
what we might have in a hall entryway, or on a corner table in
the sitting room. I also set up a small display on a set of
nested tables we had made in Hong Kong about 50 years ago that
one might want to create for a more-formal cocktail party
(perhaps for the boss of your company;-)

One of the "corner" displays combined a wisteria in a very modern
American (North Carolina mountains) pot, with the Marc Chagall
lithograph on the wall behind it and a replica of an OLD Greek
(pre-Hellenic) statue (whose venue I have totally forgotten --
they look like Easter Island figures) beside it as an example of
western mix-and-match display possibilities.

I used a medium-size, flat-top style bald cypress, a couple of
netsuke and inro and a Hiroshige print as an example of what you
might do with a corner display table.

Another table had a bronze ancient Indian warrior god (picked up
in HK again many years ago) standing below a tallish stand with a
large Osage Orange atop it. The orange bark on the tree matched
the remnants of gilt paint on the old bronze. This was set up as
a potential "centerpiece" on a poo-poo table for that same
cocktail party. ;-)

And I'm still angry!

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life is