Old 14-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] P.O'd at stupidity -- MINE!

Aargh! I AM P _ _ _ _ D!

Did a program on displaying bonsai (at home and at shows)
yesterday for our club.

Got trees, accents, suiseki, other stones, objects, kakemono,
Ukiyoe prints, a Chagall original, several netsuke and inro from
my collection, spent a couple of hours setting up in the club
Tokonoma and on tables representing what we in the west might
have at home, and showing how to display at a show, etc. with
traditional Oriental art, with mix-and-match western art, etc.,
etc., etc. There were eight separate displays. I'd brought 20
trees, lots of stands and tables. Each display area looked GREAT!

Went to get camera to record the various areas for posterity, and
discovered I'd left the &^%$#@ thing at home 25 miles away!

Well, take my word for it, because you'll never see it. It was
beautiful.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

"Damned right!" - Chief nut.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Jim. You note,
Did a program on displaying bonsai (at home and at shows)
yesterday for our club... ...BIG SNIP....

I am sorry you can't share photos of your displays. I hope you'll tell us
what you found in creating eight display spaces and manipulating twenty
bonsai plus stands and accessory objects among them. Perhaps that doesn't
require photos. While I like traditional display, it is not a possibility
for many homes with kids, dogs, furniture, sitting at chair height et al.
Other models are needed.

With 20 trees you must have shared a lot and re-worked the eight areas with
numerous options! Sounds great. Did your 'club tokonoma' also represent
space available in a Western home? I wonder how you managed Western room
accommodation.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Old 15-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi Jim. You note,
[...]

The club's Tokonoma is a very well-done portable one, complete
with tatami floor and "moon" window. I used it to set up a mame
display with my full-moon-shaped stand and a penjing that also
follows the curved motif. I borrowed a calligraphy kakemono that
I hope didn't represent some obscene word for the hanging. All
of my kakemono are much too large for this potable stand, and a
bit delicate to boot. (I was told that this was picked up in BCI
Orlando this years, so I am reasonably confident that it was
polite ;-)

For the others, I set up end-table and wall displays that mimic
what we might have in a hall entryway, or on a corner table in
the sitting room. I also set up a small display on a set of
nested tables we had made in Hong Kong about 50 years ago that
one might want to create for a more-formal cocktail party
(perhaps for the boss of your company;-)

One of the "corner" displays combined a wisteria in a very modern
American (North Carolina mountains) pot, with the Marc Chagall
lithograph on the wall behind it and a replica of an OLD Greek
(pre-Hellenic) statue (whose venue I have totally forgotten --
they look like Easter Island figures) beside it as an example of
western mix-and-match display possibilities.

I used a medium-size, flat-top style bald cypress, a couple of
netsuke and inro and a Hiroshige print as an example of what you
might do with a corner display table.

Another table had a bronze ancient Indian warrior god (picked up
in HK again many years ago) standing below a tallish stand with a
large Osage Orange atop it. The orange bark on the tree matched
the remnants of gilt paint on the old bronze. This was set up as
a potential "centerpiece" on a poo-poo table for that same
cocktail party. ;-)

And I'm still angry!

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life is