Old 22-06-2009, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Angela[_3_] Angela[_3_] is offline

Default Tomato question - feeding & numbers of trusses

"Freedom_Spark" wrote in message

| Hi everyone, I've got such helpful advice on this site recently & I'm
| back for more. Like I said before I'm a complete novice! I have quite
| alot of tomato plants growing in my greenhouse this year, about eight
| 'hundreds and thousands' a small cherry variety, I've also got about
| six plants which produce large tomatoes, I can't remember the
| varieties off hand. Any way, the two largest plants which I started
| earlier now have about four trusses on them, any information I've read
| on feeding them suggest to begin when 'the first truss has set in'
| which I had taken to mean when fruit begins to emerge from the flowers,
| I'm now starting to think I should have been feeding them earlier? I
| also read that four trusses is really enough for any plant & that the
| energy should now be expended into producing fruit. Is this true,
| should I prevent any further trusses forming, if so how?

I usually start feeding when they are in flower. I also stop at 6 trusses
rather than 4. As for the hundreds and thousands don't do anything, just
leave them to do their own thing, they are micro tomatoes and grown in
hanging baskets.