Old 22-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Registered User

Default Tomato question - feeding & numbers of trusses

Hi everyone, I've got such helpful advice on this site recently & I'm back for more. Like I said before I'm a complete novice! I have quite alot of tomato plants growing in my greenhouse this year, about eight 'hundreds and thousands' a small cherry variety, I've also got about six plants which produce large tomatoes, I can't remember the varieties off hand. Any way, the two largest plants which I started earlier now have about four trusses on them, any information I've read on feeding them suggest to begin when 'the first truss has set in' which I had taken to mean when fruit begins to emerge from the flowers, I'm now starting to think I should have been feeding them earlier? I also read that four trusses is really enough for any plant & that the energy should now be expended into producing fruit. Is this true, should I prevent any further trusses forming, if so how?
Old 22-06-2009, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Freedom_Spark" wrote in message

| Hi everyone, I've got such helpful advice on this site recently & I'm
| back for more. Like I said before I'm a complete novice! I have quite
| alot of tomato plants growing in my greenhouse this year, about eight
| 'hundreds and thousands' a small cherry variety, I've also got about
| six plants which produce large tomatoes, I can't remember the
| varieties off hand. Any way, the two largest plants which I started
| earlier now have about four trusses on them, any information I've read
| on feeding them suggest to begin when 'the first truss has set in'
| which I had taken to mean when fruit begins to emerge from the flowers,
| I'm now starting to think I should have been feeding them earlier? I
| also read that four trusses is really enough for any plant & that the
| energy should now be expended into producing fruit. Is this true,
| should I prevent any further trusses forming, if so how?

I usually start feeding when they are in flower. I also stop at 6 trusses
rather than 4. As for the hundreds and thousands don't do anything, just
leave them to do their own thing, they are micro tomatoes and grown in
hanging baskets.

Old 24-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Registered User

Some tomato plants just keep on growing - gardeners delight sems to be one of those. I grow on for 10 or 11 trusses. My brother advocated that if you wanted tomatoes at the end of the season you planted some more seeds a couple of months later, but with gardeners delight you don't have to do that. The beef tomatoes that I tried in the past never got more that three trusses anyway and you seemed to be forever waiting for them to develop. It is strange how peples tastes are so different. My mother never liked gardeners delight - they were too small and fiddly. She liked something a little bit bigger but she was never happy with the taste (not like they used to be). Personally I prefer the taste to the size. My friends prefer the big ones - one slice fills a sandwich - , Of course there are no little bit to fall out. I start feeding as soon as the first flowers form. Keep experimenting with different types of tomatoes until you find one you like.
Bigal

Fertilizer numbers Newbie Bill Ponds 3 27-07-2012 10:11 AM
How many trusses on tomatoes? David WE Roberts United Kingdom 3 17-08-2008 10:46 AM
Supporting Tomato trusses PatC Australia 3 02-11-2005 07:31 AM
Pump power consumption numbers Andrew Burgess Ponds 0 06-09-2003 11:04 PM
eBay's phone numbers and address EBAY phone number 1-408-558-7400 Gardening 0 22-08-2003 04:22 PM