Old 24-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Peter R Peter R is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Too View Post
I'm looking into planting a Silver Princess in my front yard strategically
placed so it protects the bedroom window from the summer sun. I know there
are cables for elect etc nearby, are there any concerns with the roots
getting into plumbing etc? Does it drop many leaves & branches?
This tree is native to the South West corner of Australia. The soils here are little more than beach sand and do not hold water for most of the year. Consequently all native trees have the ability to send out roots to find water. As you probably don't have extremely dry soil there shouldn't be a problem with drain pipes as it will be able to find plenty of moisture in the soil. As with almost all eucalypts it is an evergreen dropping the occasional leaf at any time of the year (mostly in very dry times!). The only time I have known of branches or leaves falling to excess from my Silver Princesses is when they have been attacked by black cockatoos (they have beaks like secateurs). I don't think you will have that problem! It is a truly beautiful tree especially if you can encourage it to develop a single trunk. Good luck.

Peter