Old 24-06-2009, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Carrots

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
drtj1960 wrote:

Hi I am a newbie to this forum and I am also fairly new to growing my
own Veg. Moved house a year ago to an acre Garden where I have now my
own veg plot with raised beds. I am having trouble with Carrots getting
them to sprout from seed. I have tried watering drill before put seed
down, I have tried putting the seed in a drill then watering however
the little blighters dosen't want to grow. I have also tried a couple
of different seed packets although to be fair one of them was not this
years seed but a packet that had been used by my Dad. What am I doing
wrong? Lettece is ok Radish is ok Beetroot is ok etc.
Debs

Try clearing off all detritus so that you only have raw soil to work
with (alfalfa pellets, bone meal, rock phosphate, wood ashes, manure,
ect. are fine, just no leaves, grass clippings, or mulch). Barely cover
seeds with dirt, and use fine spray to keep damp. Carrots should be
along in a few weeks (it seems like forever).
--

- Billy

and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

Sprinkle your seeds on well prepared soil, moisten with a very fine mist
spray and cover with a board. Start checking for germination after about a
week. When germination is noted remove the board and keep weeded until well
established. Carrots are slow to germinate and easily out competed by other
things.
Steve