Old 25-06-2009, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Peas

Xenia writes
I have planted various edible peas and rather dimly also planted mixed
in with them sweet peas. I belive sweet peas are slightly toxic.

I've an idea it may be more than 'slightly'

How
can i identify which are which? I would like to eat the edible peas!

Sweet pea pods start about an inch or two long, only about a quarter of
an inch wide. They tend to be a slightly blue-ey green, and the pods
aren't shiny - they are hairy. Remove any pods you find that are like
this, it saves confusion later.

Ordinary peas are obviously like the ones n the supermarket - shiny, not
hairy. Sugar snap peas are similar. Mange-tout peas are picked before
the peas inside swell but are also shiny bright green.

Don't eat any pods which you are unsure of.

And you could tie a bit of string around any plant which has big
fragrant flowers. Also - with sweet peas, if you keep taking the dead
heads off, you will continue to get new flowers. So if you keep doing
that (check every day for dying flowers) you won't get any pods on the
sweet peas.
--
Kay