Old 24-06-2009, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Peas

I have planted various edible peas and rather dimly also planted mixed
in with them sweet peas. I belive sweet peas are slightly toxic. How
can i identify which are which? I would like to eat the edible peas!

Thanks
Old 24-06-2009, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 24, 8:11*pm, Xenia wrote:
I have planted various edible peas and rather dimly also planted mixed
in with them sweet peas. *I belive sweet peas are slightly toxic. *How
can i identify which are which? *I would like to eat the edible peas!

This is nature's way of removing dozy gardeners from the gene pool.
'Bye.
Old 25-06-2009, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
On Jun 24, 8:11 pm, Xenia wrote:
I have planted various edible peas and rather dimly also planted mixed
in with them sweet peas. I belive sweet peas are slightly toxic. How
can i identify which are which? I would like to eat the edible peas!

This is nature's way of removing dozy gardeners from the gene pool.
'Bye.

The pods are substantially different, I assume you know what edible pea
pods look like, then you will have no problems.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 25-06-2009, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Xenia writes
I have planted various edible peas and rather dimly also planted mixed
in with them sweet peas. I belive sweet peas are slightly toxic.

I've an idea it may be more than 'slightly'

How
can i identify which are which? I would like to eat the edible peas!

Sweet pea pods start about an inch or two long, only about a quarter of
an inch wide. They tend to be a slightly blue-ey green, and the pods
aren't shiny - they are hairy. Remove any pods you find that are like
this, it saves confusion later.

Ordinary peas are obviously like the ones n the supermarket - shiny, not
hairy. Sugar snap peas are similar. Mange-tout peas are picked before
the peas inside swell but are also shiny bright green.

Don't eat any pods which you are unsure of.

And you could tie a bit of string around any plant which has big
fragrant flowers. Also - with sweet peas, if you keep taking the dead
heads off, you will continue to get new flowers. So if you keep doing
that (check every day for dying flowers) you won't get any pods on the
sweet peas.
--
Kay
Old 25-06-2009, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

moghouse writes
On Jun 24, 8:11*pm, Xenia wrote:
I have planted various edible peas and rather dimly also planted mixed
in with them sweet peas. *I belive sweet peas are slightly toxic. *How
can i identify which are which? *I would like to eat the edible peas!

This is nature's way of removing dozy gardeners from the gene pool.
'Bye.

That's an uncharacteristically sour comment!
--
Kay

Old 25-06-2009, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 25, 10:59*am, K wrote:

This is nature's way of removing dozy gardeners from the gene pool.
'Bye.

That's an uncharacteristically sour *comment!

You just couldn't see the smile when I typed it! ; }
Old 25-06-2009, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 June, 23:42, moghouse wrote:
On Jun 24, 8:11*pm, Xenia wrote:

I have planted various edible peas and rather dimly also planted mixed
in with them sweet peas. *I belive sweet peas are slightly toxic. *How
can i identify which are which? *I would like to eat the edible peas!

This is nature's way of removing dozy gardeners from the gene pool.
'Bye.

Are you always as helpful as this? Wouldn't surprise me to find out
that the computer is your only friend.

McKevvy
Old 25-06-2009, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 25, 12:46*pm, McKevvy wrote:

This is nature's way of removing dozy gardeners from the gene pool.
'Bye.

Are you always as helpful as this? Wouldn't surprise me to find out
that the computer is your only friend.

My relationship with my computer is purely platonic! Some people, it
seems, just cannot handle the truth (thank you, Jack)
Old 26-06-2009, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
McKevvy writes
On Jun 24, 8:11*pm, Xenia wrote:

I have planted various edible peas and rather dimly also planted mixed
in with them sweet peas. *I belive sweet peas are slightly toxic. *How
can i identify which are which? *I would like to eat the edible peas!

This is nature's way of removing dozy gardeners from the gene pool.
'Bye.

Are you always as helpful as this? Wouldn't surprise me to find out
that the computer is your only friend.

Oh, come on! It was obviously a joke and it made me laugh.

Where is your sense of humour?

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 26-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenia View Post
I have planted various edible peas and rather dimly also planted mixed
in with them sweet peas. I belive sweet peas are slightly toxic. How
can i identify which are which? I would like to eat the edible peas!

Thanks
Edible peas have white flowers only. So anything with a coloured flower is a sweet pea. The edible pea pod is also larger.

Old 26-06-2009, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 June, 17:53, Roy Bailey wrote:
In article
,
McKevvy writesOn 24 June, 23:42, moghouse wrote:
On Jun 24, 8:11*pm, Xenia wrote:

I have planted various edible peas and rather dimly also planted mixed
in with them sweet peas. *I belive sweet peas are slightly toxic. *How
can i identify which are which? *I would like to eat the edible peas!

This is nature's way of removing dozy gardeners from the gene pool.
'Bye.

Are you always as helpful as this? Wouldn't surprise me to find out
that the computer is your only friend.

Oh, come on! It was obviously a joke and it made me laugh.

Where is your sense of humour?

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Thanks for the comments. I shall try the edible ones and cut the
pretty flowers. We all have to start somewhere and one who has never
made mistakes has done nothing.

Alice
Old 26-06-2009, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 26, 5:53*pm, Roy Bailey wrote:

This is nature's way of removing dozy gardeners from the gene pool.
'Bye.

Are you always as helpful as this? Wouldn't surprise me to find out
that the computer is your only friend.

Oh, come on! It was obviously a joke and it made me laugh.

Where is your sense of humour?

To be honest I thought, bearing in mind the extreme differences
between the two ,size, colour, texture etc. that somebody was winding
us up!