Old 25-06-2009, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Little Paul Little Paul is offline

Default Sweet Peas

On 2009-06-25, K wrote:

Perennial sweet pea, everlasting pea, Lathyrus latifolius

Speaking of perennial sweet peas - has anyone got any tips on how to
kill them?

I've got one growing in the wrong place. It's coming up in a position
where I can't possibly get any structure for it to climb up - and rambles
all over the garden if left alone

I've tried digging it out, but 3ft down the taproot was still almost
an inch in diameter so I gave up digging and cut it off as low as I could.

This doesn't appear to have deterred it much, so I've been regularly
applying glyphosate to the shoots which are still appearing. This
seems to kill the visible shoot, but doesn't stop the next one coming
up in its place!

I like sweet peas, but this one really is a bit of a thug!

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com