Old 25-06-2009, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweet Peas

I have some sweet peas which come up every year and I've always referred to
them as 'perennial sweet peas'.

I would like to get some more but can't find them specifically mentioned in
my big gardening book ( the one everyone gets when they join a book club!).

The nearest I could find was 'frost hardy'. Is there a name for such a pea
in common parlance?

mark

Old 25-06-2009, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes
I have some sweet peas which come up every year and I've always referred to
them as 'perennial sweet peas'.

I would like to get some more but can't find them specifically mentioned in
my big gardening book ( the one everyone gets when they join a book club!).

The nearest I could find was 'frost hardy'. Is there a name for such a pea
in common parlance?

I suspect you mean Lathyrus latifolius (I know it as everlasting sweet
pea - the BBC have it as everlasting pea). This doesn't have the strong
scent of Lathyrus odoratus (sweet pea), so if what you have is strongly
scented we need to cogitate further.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 25-06-2009, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

mark writes
I have some sweet peas which come up every year and I've always referred to
them as 'perennial sweet peas'.

I would like to get some more but can't find them specifically mentioned in
my big gardening book ( the one everyone gets when they join a book club!).

The nearest I could find was 'frost hardy'. Is there a name for such a pea
in common parlance?

Perennial sweet pea, everlasting pea, Lathyrus latifolius
--
Kay
Old 25-06-2009, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-25, K wrote:

Perennial sweet pea, everlasting pea, Lathyrus latifolius

Speaking of perennial sweet peas - has anyone got any tips on how to
kill them?

I've got one growing in the wrong place. It's coming up in a position
where I can't possibly get any structure for it to climb up - and rambles
all over the garden if left alone

I've tried digging it out, but 3ft down the taproot was still almost
an inch in diameter so I gave up digging and cut it off as low as I could.

This doesn't appear to have deterred it much, so I've been regularly
applying glyphosate to the shoots which are still appearing. This
seems to kill the visible shoot, but doesn't stop the next one coming
up in its place!

I like sweet peas, but this one really is a bit of a thug!

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com
Old 25-06-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
mark writes
I have some sweet peas which come up every year and I've always
referred to
them as 'perennial sweet peas'.

I would like to get some more but can't find them specifically
mentioned in
my big gardening book ( the one everyone gets when they join a book
club!).

The nearest I could find was 'frost hardy'. Is there a name for such
a pea
in common parlance?

Perennial sweet pea, everlasting pea, Lathyrus latifolius

I've had a plant for the last 2 years, pretty pathetic I think. But
there again it could well be my gardening expertise at fault! :-(

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Old 25-06-2009, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes
I have some sweet peas which come up every year and I've always referred
them as 'perennial sweet peas'.

I would like to get some more but can't find them specifically mentioned
in
my big gardening book ( the one everyone gets when they join a book
club!).

The nearest I could find was 'frost hardy'. Is there a name for such a
pea
in common parlance?

I suspect you mean Lathyrus latifolius (I know it as everlasting sweet
pea - the BBC have it as everlasting pea). This doesn't have the strong
scent of Lathyrus odoratus (sweet pea), so if what you have is strongly
scented we need to cogitate further.

I checked it with Google images. Yep, that's the one.
Thanks
mark

Old 25-06-2009, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
mark writes
I have some sweet peas which come up every year and I've always referred
them as 'perennial sweet peas'.

I would like to get some more but can't find them specifically mentioned
in
my big gardening book ( the one everyone gets when they join a book
club!).

The nearest I could find was 'frost hardy'. Is there a name for such a
pea
in common parlance?

Perennial sweet pea, everlasting pea, Lathyrus latifolius
--
Kay

Thanks K.
Mine is growing through a fuschia bush which is about 5ft high. They look
good together.

mark

Old 25-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Registered User

Do they also produce peas as well as flowers? Then you have your answer, but I would suggest that you collect the pods just before they are fully ripe and plant the peas immediately. I'm not a great fan of them but I did want to get a plant from my parents garden. I tried for a few years before I got it right. You watch - somebody will probably now tell me why didn't you do this or do that.
Bigal

is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2010 11:32 PM
should I bring in the sweet peas before the snow? NAearthMOM Gardening 1 30-03-2003 04:08 PM
sweet peas Ophelia United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Stapling sweet peas SugarChile Gardening 2 26-02-2003 04:15 PM
sweet peas-any secrets to success? NAearthMOM Gardening 12 05-02-2003 06:19 PM