Old 15-04-2003, 10:08 PM
John NJ

Default [IBC] Attending Conventions

Jim:

If it makes you feel any better lots of non-bonsai people saw the displays
and entered the vendor area for free. The hotel had lots of airline
personnel staying over and I know none of them paid a dime. They even sat
in on the demo by Kobayashi for a bit with their uniforms on. No one asked
them to leave.

There really wasn't anyone checking at the doors and most, if not all, of
the local bonsai people were registered for the demos and workshops.

The stories that were told Friday night were worth the entire registration
fee. It was my first time and I don't plan on missing the next one.

John-NJ

From: Jim Lewis

Well, if one of the intents of having the display, etc. is to
lure people into this sport, it still seems less than enticing to
make people pay for the privilege. Gosh, charging full
convention attendees an extra buck or two, then making the
display and vendor area "free" ought to have been sufficient. If
I've thought for years about maybe doing a bonsai someday I'd be
a bit put off about having to pay to be inspired just as I was
about to take that big leap.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++