Old 15-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Attending Conventions

There are a lot of benefits to going just for the vending area.

It's a real
eye-opener, and a great experience (particularly for

"newbies"). Doesn't
cost much, either. MidAtlantic was $5.

You mean it cost the "public" MONEY to get into an area where
they were expected to spend more money?

Sounds a bit tacky to me.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Nina Shishkoff

You mean it cost the "public" MONEY to get into an area where
they were expected to spend more money?

Sounds a bit tacky to me.

No no! The $5 is to see the display of bonsai; after you see them,
the vending area is a free bonus. At least, that is how one should
think of it.

The conventions are a great way to pick up equipment and meet old
friends. Hey Patrizia, my red boots missed seeing you guys! I'll be
there next year to buy my next Dale Cochoy pot.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

Old 15-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Jim Lewis

You mean it cost the "public" MONEY to get into an area where
they were expected to spend more money?

Sounds a bit tacky to me.

No no! The $5 is to see the display of bonsai; after you see

them,
the vending area is a free bonus. At least, that is how one

should
think of it.

Well, if one of the intents of having the display, etc. is to
lure people into this sport, it still seems less than enticing to
make people pay for the privilege. Gosh, charging full
convention attendees an extra buck or two, then making the
display and vendor area "free" ought to have been sufficient. If
I've thought for years about maybe doing a bonsai someday I'd be
a bit put off about having to pay to be inspired just as I was
about to take that big leap.

Well, 'twasn't my show.

Oh! The FREE Tallahassee Bonsai Society show will be Saturday,
April 26 and 27 in the Lemoyne Art Gallery Garden, 125 N. Gadsden
Street, Tallahassee, FL. All day Saturday, Sunday afternoon.

Old 15-04-2003, 10:08 PM
John NJ

Jim:

If it makes you feel any better lots of non-bonsai people saw the displays
and entered the vendor area for free. The hotel had lots of airline
personnel staying over and I know none of them paid a dime. They even sat
in on the demo by Kobayashi for a bit with their uniforms on. No one asked
them to leave.

There really wasn't anyone checking at the doors and most, if not all, of
the local bonsai people were registered for the demos and workshops.

The stories that were told Friday night were worth the entire registration
fee. It was my first time and I don't plan on missing the next one.

John-NJ

Old 15-04-2003, 10:32 PM
dalecochoy

Subject: [IBC] Attending Conventions

Nina S. said:

No no! The $5 is to see the display of bonsai; after you see them,
the vending area is a free bonus. At least, that is how one should
think of it.
Nina Shishkoff

Dal;e says:
For those who have never been...
It is COMMON for there to be a slight charge to see the bonsai specimen
display and go through vending area. I guess it's up to each persoin to
decide which he's paying for :)

Jim, this isn't a FREE local show, it's a CONVENTION with BIG BUCKS payed to
imported/usa speakers, hotel, etc. ( but then, you knew that!) $5 sounds
CHEAP to me to spend an entire afternoon shopping and admiring trees. If you
can't afford the $ or the time for the entire convention ( Friday eve-Sunday
PM) it's a great way to get your shopping done, especially in the first
spring show in the NE. I don't think I've ever personally heard of anyone
interested seriously in starting in the bonsai hobby getting mad and
walking away over the charge. Plus, as Bart eluded too, MANY people just
want to hit the vending area and don't come for the convention! BTW, I
think it's more common for a LOCAL show to charge a few bucks for entry than
not. I've seen many that charge $1 or $2 for a few various good reasons.
Regards,
Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 15-04-2003, 10:32 PM
dalecochoy

The stories that were told Friday night were worth the entire registration
fee. It was my first time and I don't plan on missing the next one.
John-NJ

Stories??
Do you mean that top notch professional auction?? :)
Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Jim Lewis

So Jim... even if you let new people in to these events for

free.... the
sticker shock would kill them. Hey, maybe I'm just cheap.....

or maybe our
love, Bonsai, is not a inexpensive undertaking. I know there

are ways of
doing it on the low end but going to a show and seeing trees

going for from
several hundred to several thousands of dollars can put off

someone if they
are on the fence. Yes, those trees were worth every penny and

then some...
but to a rank newbie?

Don't worry about the 5 Bucks!

Ummm, _I_ am not worrying about the $5.

However, if Joe Lunchbucket (to use one of the more unflattering
references to the "public" used by news-people) is wondering if
HE might want to try his (or her, if it is Josephine Lunchbucket)
hand at bonsai, a fee to take a look at the really nice trees
that might convince him seems a bit tacky to me.

I'm glad to hear that no one was standing at the gate enforcing
the fee.

[IBC] conventions Bob Pastorio Bonsai 2 20-05-2004 03:03 AM
Attending Conventions Bart Thomas Bonsai 1 15-04-2003 10:08 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 4 27-02-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM