Old 26-06-2009, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Gooseberry

shazzbat wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message
In my last house we have a wonderful Gooseberry bush that fruited a lot,
albeit we never touched it from one year to the next. I dont know the
variety but the crumbles were second to none.

Can anyone here please recomend a good gooseberry bush and where to get it
from. There are a few varieties and I havent a clue which produces a lot
of fruit and could do with some help please folks

Thanks again

We've just planted 'Pax', chosen primarily because it's thornless[1] and I
got sick and tired of food that hurts. Next year I'll tell you how it
tastes. Hopefully.

[1] in the small print it says 'mostly' thornless.

I have a purple desert gooseberry. I don't know the name - it came with
the garden. Fruit are large and plentiful - needs treatment against
mildew some years but otherwise is a good cropper with large sweet fruit
(some almost like plums for size and appearence).

Jostaberries are even more fun if you have a fruit cage to keep the
birds from eating them before you can pick them. They are a properly
thornless cross of blackcurrant and gooseberry (think blackcurrants on
steroids).

Regards,
Martin Brown