Old 26-06-2009, 02:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gooseberry

In my last house we have a wonderful Gooseberry bush that fruited a lot,
albeit we never touched it from one year to the next. I dont know the
variety but the crumbles were second to none.

Can anyone here please recomend a good gooseberry bush and where to get it
from. There are a few varieties and I havent a clue which produces a lot of
fruit and could do with some help please folks

Thanks again

Old 26-06-2009, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jon" wrote in message
In my last house we have a wonderful Gooseberry bush that fruited a lot,
albeit we never touched it from one year to the next. I dont know the
variety but the crumbles were second to none.

Can anyone here please recomend a good gooseberry bush and where to get it
from. There are a few varieties and I havent a clue which produces a lot
of fruit and could do with some help please folks

Thanks again

We've just planted 'Pax', chosen primarily because it's thornless[1] and I
got sick and tired of food that hurts. Next year I'll tell you how it
tastes. Hopefully.

[1] in the small print it says 'mostly' thornless.

Steve

Old 26-06-2009, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message
In my last house we have a wonderful Gooseberry bush that fruited a lot,
albeit we never touched it from one year to the next. I dont know the
variety but the crumbles were second to none.

Can anyone here please recomend a good gooseberry bush and where to get it
from. There are a few varieties and I havent a clue which produces a lot
of fruit and could do with some help please folks

Thanks again

We've just planted 'Pax', chosen primarily because it's thornless[1] and I
got sick and tired of food that hurts. Next year I'll tell you how it
tastes. Hopefully.

[1] in the small print it says 'mostly' thornless.

I have a purple desert gooseberry. I don't know the name - it came with
the garden. Fruit are large and plentiful - needs treatment against
mildew some years but otherwise is a good cropper with large sweet fruit
(some almost like plums for size and appearence).

Jostaberries are even more fun if you have a fruit cage to keep the
birds from eating them before you can pick them. They are a properly
thornless cross of blackcurrant and gooseberry (think blackcurrants on
steroids).

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 26-06-2009, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jon
writes
In my last house we have a wonderful Gooseberry bush that fruited a
lot, albeit we never touched it from one year to the next. I dont know
the variety but the crumbles were second to none.

We have four gooseberry bushes which I grew from some apparently wild
ones growing among weeds on a bank behind the remains of an old
17th-century cottage. They were probably part of the inhabitants'
garden.

Only two of the four bushes had any fruit this year, but from those two
we have just picked 15 lbs of fruit. They are greenish-yellow and never
go very soft before rotting. I have a suspicion that they are the old
cottage garden variety called Careless.

My wife made a gooseberry fool yesterday and it was delicious.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.