Old 26-06-2009, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roy Bailey Roy Bailey is offline

Default Gooseberry

In article , Jon
writes
In my last house we have a wonderful Gooseberry bush that fruited a
lot, albeit we never touched it from one year to the next. I dont know
the variety but the crumbles were second to none.

We have four gooseberry bushes which I grew from some apparently wild
ones growing among weeds on a bank behind the remains of an old
17th-century cottage. They were probably part of the inhabitants'
garden.

Only two of the four bushes had any fruit this year, but from those two
we have just picked 15 lbs of fruit. They are greenish-yellow and never
go very soft before rotting. I have a suspicion that they are the old
cottage garden variety called Careless.

My wife made a gooseberry fool yesterday and it was delicious.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.