Old 15-04-2003, 10:32 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Attending Conventions

Subject: [IBC] Attending Conventions

Jim Lewis said:
You mean it cost the "public" MONEY to get into an area where
they were expected to spend more money?

Sounds a bit tacky to me.

Nina S. said:

No no! The $5 is to see the display of bonsai; after you see them,
the vending area is a free bonus. At least, that is how one should
think of it.
Nina Shishkoff

Dal;e says:
For those who have never been...
It is COMMON for there to be a slight charge to see the bonsai specimen
display and go through vending area. I guess it's up to each persoin to
decide which he's paying for :)

Jim, this isn't a FREE local show, it's a CONVENTION with BIG BUCKS payed to
imported/usa speakers, hotel, etc. ( but then, you knew that!) $5 sounds
CHEAP to me to spend an entire afternoon shopping and admiring trees. If you
can't afford the $ or the time for the entire convention ( Friday eve-Sunday
PM) it's a great way to get your shopping done, especially in the first
spring show in the NE. I don't think I've ever personally heard of anyone
interested seriously in starting in the bonsai hobby getting mad and
walking away over the charge. Plus, as Bart eluded too, MANY people just
want to hit the vending area and don't come for the convention! BTW, I
think it's more common for a LOCAL show to charge a few bucks for entry than
not. I've seen many that charge $1 or $2 for a few various good reasons.
Regards,
Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++