Old 27-06-2009, 10:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Compostman Compostman is offline

Default Beginner gardener with clematis queries...help!

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"Rebecca" wrote in message
Hi,

Im hoping someone can advise me on my 2 issues.

Clematis Queries... wouldn't that be a gay veneral disease?

I have 2 clemtises
(?!).

1. Montana has been planted about 4 years. Looks healthy and finished
flowering about 3 weeks ago. Saying that, I think it has developed
some new growth in last week. Should I leave it? Also, I have never
cut it back thogh so I wondering when I can do that, and if so, how
brutally?

2. Other clematis, type unknown, has loads of new growth and likely
to start flowering in next week. I have seen though it is covered in
black fly. I have never come across this before (you can tell I am a
new gardener!). I assume I have to treat it. How is best to deal with
it?

Your thoughts, tips and advice wd be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Rebecca

Clematis Montana is best left alone and not pruned except where necessary.