Old 22-06-2009, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Beginner gardener with clematis queries...help!

Hi,

Im hoping someone can advise me on my 2 issues. I have 2 clemtises
(?!).

1. Montana has been planted about 4 years. Looks healthy and finished
flowering about 3 weeks ago. Saying that, I think it has developed
some new growth in last week. Should I leave it? Also, I have never
cut it back thogh so I wondering when I can do that, and if so, how
brutally?

2. Other clematis, type unknown, has loads of new growth and likely
to start flowering in next week. I have seen though it is covered in
black fly. I have never come across this before (you can tell I am a
new gardener!). I assume I have to treat it. How is best to deal with
it?

Your thoughts, tips and advice wd be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Rebecca
Old 22-06-2009, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Rebecca" wrote in message
Hi,

Im hoping someone can advise me on my 2 issues.

Clematis Queries... wouldn't that be a gay veneral disease?

I have 2 clemtises
(?!).

Old 23-06-2009, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:31:44 -0700 (PDT), Rebecca
wrote:

Hi,

Im hoping someone can advise me on my 2 issues. I have 2 clemtises
(?!).

1. Montana has been planted about 4 years. Looks healthy and finished
flowering about 3 weeks ago. Saying that, I think it has developed
some new growth in last week. Should I leave it? Also, I have never
cut it back thogh so I wondering when I can do that, and if so, how
brutally?

I have three clematis growing on the same trellis. I've never pruned
any of them, nor cut them back. They have been blooming for about 10
years now with no ill effects.

2. Other clematis, type unknown, has loads of new growth and likely
to start flowering in next week. I have seen though it is covered in
black fly. I have never come across this before (you can tell I am a
new gardener!). I assume I have to treat it. How is best to deal with
it?

Blast them with a garden hose, every morning, for 3-4 days. Most
insects will leave. Black flies should not be a threat to a plant
because they feed on blood. If you are getting bitten, DEET will
help.

Old 27-06-2009, 10:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"Rebecca" wrote in message
[...]

Clematis Montana is best left alone and not pruned except where necessary.