Old 27-06-2009, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant IDs

In message , K
writes
beccabunga writes
2) looks like an avens (Geum) to me, but I don't recognise the

species.

http://tinyurl.com/oopu2d
http://tinyurl.com/pumopo
http://tinyurl.com/ol86z9

Geum rivale [Water avens] - probably alba

You may be right, but it looks very compact for G rivale. Something not
quite right. I was beginning to wonder whether it was indeed a Geum at
all - but I need more time to think.

I wasn't aware of the existence of white forms of Geum rivale.

I don't see Geum rivale very often - there's a colony about 6 miles
away, but I overlooked it when passing on the way to the garden (perhaps
it was past flowering) - but I do have the impression that it is a less
compact plant than the one photographed.

There is a white avens (Geum canadense) and Geum pentapetalum is also
white-flowered, but neither looks like a match.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley