Old 26-06-2009, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant IDs

I was visiting a garden on Wednesday, and photographed a few plants that
I did not recognise. In several cases I don't know whether they're
cultivated or wild, but they're sufficiently obscure to make the former
plausible. Any ideas?

1) a meadow rue (Thalictum) - I'd like a second opinion on the species,
as I've been relying on labels in the past.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663596304/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663596032/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663596482/

2) looks like an avens (Geum) to me, but I don't recognise the species.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663573908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663573516/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663573656/

3) no idea, other than that it's a dicot. Ignore the little white
flowers - they belong to bitter cresses. The pearlwort in the bottom
left gives some scale.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663573424/

4) looks like a giant white-flowered buttercup (Ranunculus platanifolius
would be my best guess, but it's out of my knowledge of the genus). I
couldn't get close because it was 5 feet behind a fence which was
blocking off an area for safety reasons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3662770353/

There were also several other unusual, and possibly wild plants, present
- New Zealand willow herb (Epilobium brunnescens), pirri-pirri burr
(Acaena nova-zealandiae) and hairy St. John's wort (Hypericum hirsutum).
I'm still thinking about the speedwells that I saw.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-06-2009, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
[...]

Oops! Forgot one

5) Silene. In an earlier year there were plants labelled as Silene
gallica, with white eyes, and also white petal edges. Are these also
Silene gallica, or are they a different species.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3662769899/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663572928/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
I was visiting a garden on Wednesday, and photographed a few plants that
I did not recognise. In several cases I don't know whether they're
cultivated or wild, but they're sufficiently obscure to make the former
plausible. Any ideas?

1) a meadow rue (Thalictum) - I'd like a second opinion on the species,
as I've been relying on labels in the past.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663596304/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663596032/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663596482/

Without a better shot of the leaves, could be Thalictrum aquilegifolium, whis flowers in June.

2) looks like an avens (Geum) to me, but I don't recognise the species.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663573908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663573516/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663573656/

Geum rivale [Water avens] - probably alba

3) no idea, other than that it's a dicot. Ignore the little white
flowers - they belong to bitter cresses. The pearlwort in the bottom
left gives some scale.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3663573424/

Not close enough to see detail

4) looks like a giant white-flowered buttercup (Ranunculus platanifolius
would be my best guess, but it's out of my knowledge of the genus). I
couldn't get close because it was 5 feet behind a fence which was
blocking off an area for safety reasons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3662770353/

Same - not close enough to see detail

There were also several other unusual, and possibly wild plants, present
- New Zealand willow herb (Epilobium brunnescens), pirri-pirri burr
(Acaena nova-zealandiae) and hairy St. John's wort (Hypericum hirsutum).
I'm still thinking about the speedwells that I saw.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Best I can do with the photos.
Old 27-06-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

beccabunga writes
2) looks like an avens (Geum) to me, but I don't recognise the

species.

http://tinyurl.com/oopu2d
http://tinyurl.com/pumopo
http://tinyurl.com/ol86z9

Geum rivale [Water avens] - probably alba

You may be right, but it looks very compact for G rivale. Something not
quite right. I was beginning to wonder whether it was indeed a Geum at
all - but I need more time to think.

--
Kay
Old 27-06-2009, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , beccabunga
writes

http://tinyurl.com/onto6c
http://tinyurl.com/pb7re2
http://tinyurl.com/p45dcr

Without a better shot of the leaves, could be Thalictrum
aquilegifolium, whis flowers in June.

That was what I thought as well.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 27-06-2009, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

K writes
beccabunga writes
2) looks like an avens (Geum) to me, but I don't recognise the

species.

http://tinyurl.com/oopu2d
http://tinyurl.com/pumopo
http://tinyurl.com/ol86z9

Geum rivale [Water avens] - probably alba

You may be right, but it looks very compact for G rivale. Something not
quite right. I was beginning to wonder whether it was indeed a Geum at
all - but I need more time to think.

It's growing with wood sorrel and harts tongue, which I'd associate with
a shady habitat but drier than for Geum rivale. Geum rivale has
pinnate-ish leaves, ie another two lobes below the three big ones, this
plant has only three lobes. It also gives the impression of being low
and creeping, and the leaves are shinier than Geum.

Flowers aren't right for Rubus saxatilis, but I wondered if it might be
something in that area.

The tiny creeping plant I can't identify - the focus is not good enough
when you enlarge the pick. Overall it looks like something primula-ish
(eg Anagallis), though a bit on the small side.
--
Kay
Old 27-06-2009, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
beccabunga writes
2) looks like an avens (Geum) to me, but I don't recognise the

species.

http://tinyurl.com/oopu2d
http://tinyurl.com/pumopo
http://tinyurl.com/ol86z9

Geum rivale [Water avens] - probably alba

You may be right, but it looks very compact for G rivale. Something not
quite right. I was beginning to wonder whether it was indeed a Geum at
all - but I need more time to think.

I wasn't aware of the existence of white forms of Geum rivale.

I don't see Geum rivale very often - there's a colony about 6 miles
away, but I overlooked it when passing on the way to the garden (perhaps
it was past flowering) - but I do have the impression that it is a less
compact plant than the one photographed.

There is a white avens (Geum canadense) and Geum pentapetalum is also
white-flowered, but neither looks like a match.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-06-2009, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
I don't see Geum rivale very often - there's a colony about 6 miles
away, but I overlooked it when passing on the way to the garden
(perhaps it was past flowering) - but I do have the impression that it
is a less compact plant than the one photographed.

It has upright flower stems in the same way as Geum urbanum, though a
bit floppier. I have a lot of it in my garden, and it's about knee
height, a bigger plant than Geum urbanum, but otherwise similar in form
apart from the drooping flowers.
--
Kay
Old 29-06-2009, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
I don't see Geum rivale very often - there's a colony about 6 miles
away, but I overlooked it when passing on the way to the garden
(perhaps it was past flowering) - but I do have the impression that it
is a less compact plant than the one photographed.

It has upright flower stems in the same way as Geum urbanum, though a
bit floppier. I have a lot of it in my garden, and it's about knee
height, a bigger plant than Geum urbanum, but otherwise similar in form
apart from the drooping flowers.

You've convinced me that it's not Geum rivale, but that leaves me still
baffled as to what it is.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Plant IDs - please janka Plant Science 6 27-01-2007 04:58 PM
Two plant IDs please Sacha United Kingdom 6 19-11-2006 11:50 PM
Plant IDs please - worrisit ? adm United Kingdom 37 07-06-2006 05:12 PM
Tropical Plant IDs James Gardening 8 13-05-2004 02:02 PM
websites for plant photos / ids Niall Smyth United Kingdom 4 23-09-2003 02:29 AM