Old 28-06-2009, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden cress. Plant ID confusion.

I've planted some garden cress. At least that is what the (French) seed
packet says, and the youngest leaves looks like the picture on the
packet. However, I've googled it and there seems to be several different
plants called garden cress. The closest one to mine seems to be Lepidium
sativum but that apparently has white / pink flowers and mine has yellow
flowers.

I was beginning to wonder if there were some weed seeds mixed in the
packet as the leaves on the young plants seem different to those on the
flower spikes, the latter being more pointy tipped; however closer
examination reveals both types of leaf to be on the same plant. I
haven't found any really clear photos on Google to help with definitive
plant ID. Anyone recognise the pictures?

Yellow flower spikes:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/Hpim7922a.jpg

Smaller non-flowering rosettes:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/Hpim7927a.jpg