Old 28-06-2009, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden cress. Plant ID confusion.

I've planted some garden cress. At least that is what the (French) seed
packet says, and the youngest leaves looks like the picture on the
packet. However, I've googled it and there seems to be several different
plants called garden cress. The closest one to mine seems to be Lepidium
sativum but that apparently has white / pink flowers and mine has yellow
flowers.

I was beginning to wonder if there were some weed seeds mixed in the
packet as the leaves on the young plants seem different to those on the
flower spikes, the latter being more pointy tipped; however closer
examination reveals both types of leaf to be on the same plant. I
haven't found any really clear photos on Google to help with definitive
plant ID. Anyone recognise the pictures?

Yellow flower spikes:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/Hpim7922a.jpg

Smaller non-flowering rosettes:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/Photos/Hpim7927a.jpg

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 28-06-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David in Normandy writes
[...]

It's not unusual for basal leaves to be a different shape from stem
leaves. I wouldn't worry

--
Kay
Old 29-06-2009, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in Normandy
writes
[...]

Yellow-flowered crucifers are, in my experience, difficult to identify.
However Barbarea verna goes by the name of American cress, land cress or
American land cress (even though it originates in Europe).

Your photographs aren't obviously not of this species, but I can't
exclude any of the other species of this genus, nor, in the absence of
fruits, the yellow cresses (Rorippa sp.)

Wikipedia Francais gives the French vernacular names for Barbarea verna
as cresson de terre (land cress) or cresson de jardin (garden cress),
which is support for identification as Barbarea verna (but how many
other plants do the French also call cresson de jardin?)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

garden cress zibafu Edible Gardening 3 02-05-2011 11:21 PM
Cress ... Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat United Kingdom 4 22-07-2004 06:18 PM
Cress ... Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat United Kingdom 25 22-07-2004 03:08 PM
Water cress in aquaria or pond?? Paul McGuinness Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 25-08-2003 04:02 PM
water cress Martina Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 14-04-2003 11:32 AM